From The Ground Up Headlines
From the Ground Up - It's Harvest Time
- This year got off to a dry start for area farmers, but there was enough moisture to get crops planted, and then the timely rains that we received throughout the summer turned this year’s crop yields into one of the best in recent memory.
FSA's Livestock Forage Program
- Ranchers who suffered financial losses for the past few years due to drought may be eligible for some assistance through the Livestock Forage Disaster Program. Mike Krystinik ranches in Brazos County.
Texas' Beef Check-off Begins Next Month
- The U.S Beef Check-Off Program was started in the nineteen eighties as a producer funded marketing and research program that assesses one-dollar per beef animal at the time the animal is sold.
Young Ranchers Attend Texas A&M's Beef 706
- Earlier this month, Texas A&M Agrilife Extension hosted its Beef 706 course that zeroes in on how beef producers can produce a more consistent and high quality beef product.
Ranchers Face Challenges Even With High Beef Prices
- A lot of what’s going on in the beef industry is all related to what the drought was or is in Texas and the western part of the U.S.
From the Ground Up - Unbalanced Infrastructure in the Beef Industry
- The infrastructure for the beef industry was built in the early seventies when we had 130 million cows in the U.S..
From the Ground Up - Ranchers Remain Cautious
- The 2011 drought not only resulted in a drastic reduction of cattle in the U.S., it also left pastures severely damaged.
From the Ground Up - Rebuilding the Cow Herd
- The 2011 drought produced an unprecedented sell-off of cattle that severely reduced the size of the U.S. cow herd. It appears, at least in our part of the state, the rebuilding process is beginning to take place. Bobby Kurten is a Brazos County rancher.
From the Ground Up - Rains Have Brought Back Pastures
- One of the results of a historic drought like the one we experienced in 2011 is severely damaged pastures that provide the primary source of forage to feed cattle.
From the Ground Up - Precision Agriculture
- With the growing demand for food and fiber from an increasing global population, agriculture is continually challenged to do more with less.
More From The Ground Up Headlines