From The Ground Up Headlines
From the Ground Up - Animal Welfare Debate In Poultry Industry
- In January, California enacted new regulations preventing the use of cages for laying hens in the traditional sense that they’ve been utilized.
From the Ground Up - Producers Brace For Threat of Avian Flu This Fall
- While we appear to be on the backside of the curve for the outbreak of avian flu that occurred across the Midwest this spring and caused egg shortages and higher prices, producers are bracing themselves for another threat this fall, as wild birds migrate for the winter. Craig Coufal is a Texas A&M Agrilife Extension Poultry Specialist.
From the Ground Up - Changes in the Texas Dairy Industry
- The Texas Dairy Industry has grown tremendously over the last several years, but with that growth has also come major changes. Michael Tomaszewski is a visiting professor and professor emeritus of dairy science in Texas A&M’s Department of Animal Science.
From the Ground Up - Mixed Expectations For This Year’s Corn Crop
- Normally this time of the year when you drive through the rural parts of our area, you’ll notice that the corn stalks are beginning to dry down, signaling that the corn is close to being ready to harvest. Harvest will be a little later this year.
From the Ground Up - Egg Producers Recovery From Avian Flu
- The avian flu outbreak that swept across the Midwest this spring forcing the killing of millions of chickens caused egg shortages which have resulted in higher egg prices.
From the Ground Up - June Is National Dairy Month
- June is National Dairy Month and we took the opportunity to visit a Brazos Valley dairy that’s been four generations in the making.
From The Ground Up - Too Much Rain Not As Bad As Drought
- While excessive rain does produce problems, most ranchers will tell you that they’d rather deal with the rain than a drought.
From the Ground Up - Wheat Harvest
- After several days of sunshine many farmers are busy in the field with an overdue wheat harvest that was delayed by excessive rains in May. Glenn Hegar farms in Hockley.
From the Ground Up - Ranchers Struggle With Excessive Rains
- After what the 2011 drought did to the cattle industry, you might think that one of Mother Nature’s winners so far this year would be ranchers, but the excessive amount of rain we’ve received produces a different set of problems.
From the Ground Up - Rains Hampering Hay Production
- When hay producers can mix fertilization and timely rains on an established hay meadow, they can expect the result will be a good quality hay cutting.
More From The Ground Up Headlines