From The Ground Up Headlines
From The Ground Up - A Face Of Agriculture
- What we have found, especially in the poultry side of our business, is the consumer has become more and more concerned about how their food is produced, and how it’s handled.
From the Ground Up - Cattle Census Shows Increased Numbers
- At the end of January, the USDA released its annual cattle inventory report. It showed a full two per cent increase in cattle numbers across the United States, and even more in Texas. David Anderson is a Texas A&M Agrilife Extension economist
From the Ground Up - Should Consumers Care About Farm Level Prices
- Most consumers pay no attention to farm commodity prices. After all, how much wheat really is there in a loaf of bread? So even if wheat prices are high, it really shouldn’t have that dramatic of an effect on how much that bread costs. But what if the price was so low, nobody planted wheat? Then, it might matter to us what the price of that wheat was at the farm level. Mark Welch is a Texas A&M Agrilife Extension economist.
From the Ground Up - Farming Requires Optimism
- From the Ground Up - Farming Requires Optimism
Most of us who work for a living would find it hard to go to work every day if the boss called us in and told us he couldn’t promise us that we were always going to get a pay check. That’s a risk farmers take every year. Mark Welch is a Texas A&M Agrilife Extension economist.
From the Ground Up - Crop Inputs Lower For 2015
- The good news for farmers in 2015 is that many of the inputs that they use to grow their crops have gone done in price. The bad news is that most commodity prices have gone down as well.
Jason Wendler is a Brazos Valley farmer and rancher.
From the Ground Up - 2015 Crop Preparation Well Underway
- After Christmas, a lot of us start thinking about making New Year’s resolutions, and plans for the upcoming year. It might surprise you to learn that farmers in our area began preparing for their 2015 crop well before the new year arrived. Walter Vajdak is a dryland farmer in Burleson County.
From the Ground Up - GMOs Necessary To Feed The World
- GMO is an abbreviation for a genetically modified organism whose genome has been altered by the techniques of genetic engineering so that its DNA contains one or more genes not normally found there.
From The Ground Up - Ag Producing More with Less
- Year after year farmers are encouraged to produce bigger yields with less inputs and that includes everything from land and water to pesticides and fertilizer.
From the Ground Up - Christmas and Agriculture
- Agricultural Producers not only provide us with the food we enjoy to celebrate holidays, but they also provide many of the raw materials that are used to make gifts that are given this time of the year.
From the Ground Up - Meeting Texas’ Future Water Needs
- It’s projected that by 2060 the State of Texas will need 8.3 million acre feet of water that we don’t currently have, and the big question facing state officials and planners is where will that water come from?
More From The Ground Up Headlines