“One rain will not solve our problems. We’re going to have to have 2 or 3, 2 or 3 inch rains over an extended period to really get the grass growing again. I’m talking about clover and rye grass, things that we normally see this time of year.”
Ranchers won’t be able to continue the current feeding levels.
“I think in 30 days or 45 days from now if it doesn’t rain, I think we’ll be seeing some fairly heavy culling and probably 30 days after that some whole herd reduction going on.”
Area corn farmers are about 30 days away from the beginning of the planting window.
“It’s gonna be a hard decision on whether or not to actually plant the crop because we have just not had any replenishment in the soil profile since, well, since last year. We’ve never had the problem of trying to decide whether to plant a crop or not, because we have zero subsoil moisture. We have very little topsoil moisture. If we have to start irrigating our crops from the very beginning, and we’ll have to continue the irrigation, we’re going to spend more money than we have a chance to make back.”
Farmers who can’t irrigate won’t have a choice.
“Nearly all of the dry land corn farmers are going to have to wait for a rain. If it comes too late, they may have to go to an alternative crop.”
The chess match is ongoing between Mother Nature and agriculture.