Florida couple dies of generator fumes

Hurricane Matthew, Photo: NOAA
By  | 

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida Authorities say an elderly couple appears to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning while running a generator after Hurricane Matthew, raising the U.S. death toll from the storm to 4.
A post on the St. Lucie County Fire District's Facebook page says rescuers responded to couple's home Friday morning after neighbors found them not breathing. They were taken to a nearby hospital, where county spokesman Erick Gill says they later died.

Officials say the couple had been running a generator inside their garage throughout the storm.

Officials didn't immediately naming the couple. Two women in Florida were also killed in separate accidents.

___

Earlier Update

A man who stayed on a Georgia island to ride out Hurricane Matthew says "trees are bending over" and it's "raining sideways" as the storm approaches the Georgia-Florida line.

Steve Todd said he and a friend ventured out in a truck after dark Friday to pick up a couple of buddies who had become frightened of rapidly worsening conditions on Tybee Island. He said they were all going back to his third-floor condominium to spend the night.

Local officials ordered a mandatory evacuation for Tybee on Wednesday, but some residents insisted on staying put. The hurricane's center was expected to pass early Saturday.

Todd said he doesn't regret his decision, "but I'm not going to lie. There's a little bit of nervous tension right now."