COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) - Danni Williams scored seven points in overtime and No. 17 Texas A&M toppled No. 6 Tennessee 79-76 on Thursday night, handing the Lady Vols their first defeat of the season.
The Aggies (14-4, 3-1 Southeastern Conference) missed 18 consecutive shots from the field late in the game before recovering in the extra period thanks to Williams' clutch free throw shooting. She made all five of her attempts from the line in overtime, including when she was fouled on a 3-point attempt with the Aggies trailing 76-74 and 7.8 seconds remaining.
Following a timeout, Tennessee then had the ball on its end of the court with a chance to win, but Evina Westbrook threw a pass along the left sideline that bounced out of bounds, resulting in a turnover. Williams was fouled with 0.4 seconds left and made both free throws.
Williams and Khaalia Hillsman each scored 22 points to lead Texas A&M, and Chennedy Carter added 21.
Mercedes Russell led the Lady Vols (15-1, 3-1) with 21.
Tennessee: All is certainly not lost for the Lady Vols, despite their first setback of the season. Texas A&M won a national title under coach Gary Blair in 2011, so the Aggies are no pushovers in league play. Tennessee will no doubt learn from the tight loss and continue pushing on in trying to win its ninth national championship, and first since 2008.
Texas A&M: The Aggies needed this one to boost their confidence, considering their two previous victories in SEC play came against unranked opponents in Kentucky and Auburn.
Tennessee: The Lady Vols' challenging road schedule continues when they play at No. 9 South Carolina on Sunday.
Texas A&M: The Aggies play a second consecutive home game when Georgia visits Reed Arena on Sunday.
· This is Texas A&M’s first win against an AP Top 10 team since Nov. 30, 2014
· The Aggies improve to 14-4 on the season and 3-1 in SEC play. Tennessee suffers its first loss of the season, falling to 15-1 overall and 3-1 in SEC play
· This is Texas A&M’s first overtime game of the year. The Aggies are 5-2 all-time in SEC overtime games
· The last time Tennessee and Texas A&M met at Reed Arena, the Aggies won 76-71 in overtime.
· Texas A&M has now beat Tennessee in their last three regular season meetings
· Texas A&M is 1-4 against AP Top 25 teams this season, with all five of those games coming against teams ranked 11th or higher.
· The Aggies are 10-2 at home this season and 64-12 at home since the start of the 2013-14 season
· Texas A&M head coach Gary Blair is 345-145 in 15 seasons at Texas A&M and 753-308 in his Hall of Fame career, which is tied for seventh among active coaches and 11th all-time
· Scored 20+ points for the ninth time this season in 18 games.
· Scored 10+ points for the 18th straight game. She is the first Texas A&M player to start her career with 18 straight double-digit scoring games.
· Scored 20+ points for the third straight game and the seventh time this year. She has 18 career 20+ point games, which ranks sixth at Texas A&M.
· Had her second straight double-double, and ranks second on Texas A&M’s career double-double list with 20.
· Scored in double figures for the 14th time in 18 games this season
· Had 10+ rebounds for the fifth time this season and the 25th time in her career
· Scored 20+ points for the fourth time this season
· Scored in double figures for the eighth straight game and the 16th time in 18 games this season. She has 47 career 10+ point games
· Had 10+ rebounds for the 13th straight game and the 17th time this season. She has 45 career 10+ rebound games