Several individual and academic teams from College Station ISD high schools recently placed in the top 10, and won two state championships at the Texas UIL Academic Meet.
The A&M Consolidated High School Current Issues and Events team won the 5A team championship for the second year in a row. Students are judged on a 40-question, multiple-choice quiz and a written essay on issues facing the United States. Members of the team include Benjamin Lamb, Alex Coopersmith, Shankar Srinivasan and Annie Zhang.
The best individual performance was turned in by College Station High School’s Jiatao Liang who won the 3A individual championship in Science, by earning the top score in chemistry and the second-highest score in physics. In addition, Liang place second in the individual math competition.
In all, four CSISD teams and nine individuals placed in the top 10 in 15 categories.
- AMCHS Current Issues and Events Team: State Champions
- CSHS Mathematics Team: 3rd Place
- CSHS Number Sense Team: 4th Place
- CSHS Science Team: 2nd Place
- Alex Coopersmith, AMCHS: 9th in Current Issues and Events
- Diana Hajali, CSHS: 7th in Spelling & Vocabulary
- BJ Kim, CSHS: 5th in Number Sense, 10th in Mathematics
- Benjamin Lamb, AMCHS: 8th in Current Issues and Events
- Jiatao Liang, CSHS: 1st in Science (1st in chemistry and 2nd in physics), 2nd in Mathematics
- Michelle Liu, AMCHS: 7th in Literary Criticism
- Stephanie Palazzolo, AMCHS: 4th in Ready Writing
- Jamie Roberman, CSHS: 10th in Social Studies
- Jason Tan, CSHS: 7th in Science