8-Year-Old Saves Grandmother From Burning Apartment

By: Stephanie Ando Email
By: Stephanie Ando Email

CALVERT At least five families lost everything after a fire broke out at the Calvert Arms Apartment Complex Saturday.

"Its just a total loss. A total disaster. There's no way you can get anything back. It's just gone," said Laterika Brooks, a resident who lost her home in the fire.

However, most people at the apartment complex aren't dwelling on what they lost. They're talking about who was saved, thanks to 8-year-old James Wilbore.

Wilbore says he was playing a game at his grandmother's house when he heard glass breaking. That's when the third grader says he realized the apartment was on fire.

He says the only thing going through his mind was saving his 67-year-old grandmother.

"I opened the window real fast and then I got my granny out. I said, 'Granny, Granny get out! The fire is coming right in the house,' because the fire had bust the door open," said Wilbore.

Wilbore says he pulled his grandmother out the window and moved her to safety with help from some neighbors.

The apartment was fully engulfed in flames by the time Calvert firefighters got there.

One Calvert firefighter was taken to the hospital for dehydration and heat exhaustion, and another was treated at the scene.

The State Fire Marshal's Office will be handling the investigation.

Wilbore says he doesn't want a prize or recognition for what he did. He's just happy knowing his grandma is safe.

KBTX-TV Channel 3 4141 E. 29th Street Bryan, TX 77802 Phone: (979) 846-7777 Fax: (979) 846-1490 News Fax: (979) 846-1888
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 218312511 - kbtx.com/a?a=218312511
Gray Television, Inc.