Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday August 22, 2014.
1. HAGEL: US AIRSTRIKES CURBING ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS
But the militants along the Iraq and Syrian border will likely regroup and launch a new offensive, the defense secretary says.
2. WHY PAYING RANSOMS FOR CAPTIVES IS TROUBLESOME
By acceding to kidnappers' demands, governments in the Mideast and Europe have become some of the biggest financiers of terror groups.
3. AMERICANS INFECTED WITH EBOLA LEAVE ATLANTA HOSPITAL
The two medical missionaries remain weak but are expected to recover completely.
4. WHAT'S LIKELY IMPACT OF DEATHS OF HAMAS COMMANDERS
Israel's killing of the three is bound to lower the militant group's morale - but might not diminish its ability to fire rockets at its neighbor.
5. MISSOURI GOVERNOR PULLING NATIONAL GUARD FROM FERGUSON
Since the guard's arrival Monday, flare-ups in the small section of the town that had been the center of nightly unrest have begun to subside.
6. ROMNEY, RYAN REUNITE FOR INTERVIEW
The public appearance comes on the brink of the fall elections, with Republicans driving for the six-seat gain required to grab the Senate majority.
7. DETAILS OF ALLEGED ABDUCTION PLOT EMERGE
A couple lured two Amish sisters from their family farm in upstate New York with the intention of turning them into slaves, authorities say.
8. HOW UNITED AIRLINES IS MAKING SKIES FRIENDLIER
The struggling carrier is upgrading first-class food options and replacing snacks with full meals on some of its shortest flights.
9. ONE-TWO PUNCH APPARENTLY EFFECTIVE AGAINST POLIO
Giving a vaccine shot to children who've already swallowed an oral polio vaccine greatly boosts their immunity, research suggests.
10. WHO'S THROWING COLD WATER ON `ICE BUCKET CHALLENGE'
President Obama declines to take part in the popular challenge. Instead, he's sending a donation to support research into Lou Gehrig's disease.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.