Three years after an explosion rocked Texas A&M University, there was another scare at the University Apartments. However, the incident Thursday morning did not end tragically.
"The cops just came and knocked on the door and they said everyone should come out," Texas A&M student and apartment resident Haribhaskar Balasubramaniam said. "They said there is a gas leak and then we just came out."
Four buildings at University Apartments were evacuated when crews collecting core samples hit a gas line.
About a dozen residents looked on as crews shut off the main gas pipe line and worked feverishly to repair the problem.
It was July 31, 2004 that an explosion caused by a gas leak at the same apartment complex killed a four-year-old girl and her grandmother.
For some, that day doesn't feel far away.
"We're just trying to do the best we can to make sure everyone is safe and that we don't have another incident like that occur," Texas A&M Police Sgt. James Johnson said.
Residents were allowed back inside after an hour to catch up on lost sleep and count their blessings that what could have been worse, was not.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.