Authorities are looking for a Great Dane that is white with black spots.
The dog bit a child Sunday afternoon at the Austin Colony Park.
The dog's owner was reportedly walking two other dogs at the time and left the park before officials could quarantine the dog for observation.
If the Great Dane is not found, the child will be urged to get post exposure vaccinations.
If you have information about this dog, you are asked to call Animal Control at 979-822-9102.
kbtx.com Extended Web Coverage
How to Avoid a Dog Attack
- Keep a safe distance between yourself and dogs being walked on leash.
- Ask owner's permission before approaching a dog, on leash or in yard.
- Never approach a barking, snarling, sleeping, eating, or nursing dog.
- Do not stare the dog in the eyes.
- Turn sideways and slowly withdraw.
- Put an object such as a tree, post, or bench between you and the dog.
- Speak softly and gently to calm the dog, "Good dog, it's OK, go home."
- Stand still or maintain a constant slow pace out of the dog's territory.
- If local law allows, use pepper spray when charged by the dog.
- If charged, get something between you and the dog's mouth: umbrella, pack, jacket, stick.
- If attacked, curl up in a ball and protect your face, neck, and head.
- Report unleashed aggressive dogs to the local police.
- You can't outrun the dog, not even an Olympic sprinter could.
- Be aware of dogs a block or more ahead, change your route or turn around to avoid unleashed dogs.
- Know the weapons laws in the community you are walking in and obey them.
www.walking.about.com contributed these tips.