An unattended fireplace is the cause for a mobile home fire in Bedias.
Grimes County Sheriff's officials say the call came in about noon regarding a mobile home engulfed in flames.
"I heard this crackling and I said what is that?" Homeowner Oly Schunior said. "I heard the noise and I went to see what went on."
But, what Schunior heard was far worse than she imagined.
A mobile home she used for storage was on fire and her pets were inside.
"Everything was quiet when I left this morning around 8, everything was quiet and ok," Schunior said.
A fire Schunior started the night before to keep her animals warm had spread from the fireplace.
"This morning I didn't check on it," Schunior said. "That was my mistake."
Crews battled the blaze for two hours. The fire was quickly contained and the animals were not injured, but the mobile home was a complete loss.
"You feel pretty bad really, but in a way I praise God that I'm fine because we're not here to keep these things forever anyway," Schunior said.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.