Disaster Strikes Again at Doux Chene Apartments

By: Kristen Ross Email
By: Kristen Ross Email

Several families were displaced Wednesday night after a fire broke out at the Doux Chene Apartments. The cause of the fire is believed to be electrical.

However, it's not the first time the complex has been struck by disaster. It's been a rough couple of years for Doux Chene apartment owner Glenn Wyant.

"We've been hit by lightening, we've had a tornado, we have had fires, so it's the kind of thing you just take that as a part of life with owning this place," Wyant said.

You may remember back in December 2006, the apartment suffered extensive damage from mother nature herself.

"I was on my balcony when it hit so I saw the funnel cloud, bouncing up and down and everything and I was pretty scared," Jennifer Alsup said in December 2006.

That was then, this was Wednesday night...

"About 9:45 or so, my wife was watching TV and I stood up and she says I smell smoke," Doux Chene Resident Andrew Dancer said. "The next thing you know they're banging on my door saying fire!"

Dancer then ran to his truck to grab a fire extinguisher and help put out the flames.

You could call it ironic or just plain and simple bad luck. Either way, the fire that ripped through the apartment is one of the same apartments that was heavily damaged by a tornado just a little more than a year ago.

"The building that was affected we had completely gutted and replaced all the wiring, plumbing, and had completely redone the apartment," Wyant said. "It was brand new wiring that actually caught fire, and we're still looking into exactly how that happened."

Although there is little visible damage on the outside, crews on Thursday morning were cleaning up the inside of apartments, including Dancer's, which lies just beneath the unit where the fire began.

However, it's all par for the course for the Dancer family who also lived in the complex when the tornado ripped through it.

"I've gotten to the point where I expect the unexpected," Dancer said.

The owner of the apartments says in all four families were affected. Several were put up in nearby hotels, others were able to return to their apartments.

Wyant says they are working hard to get everyone back into their apartments as soon as possible.

Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, Trolling or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to comments@kbtx.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus
KBTX-TV Channel 3 4141 E. 29th Street Bryan, TX 77802 Phone: (979) 846-7777 Fax: (979) 846-1490 News Fax: (979) 846-1888
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 16361426 - kbtx.com/a?a=16361426
Gray Television, Inc.