KBTX | Bryan & College Station, TX | News, Weather, Sports

A&M Sued in Deadly Apartment Explosion

By: KBTX Staff
By: KBTX Staff

A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed in the deadly A&M apartment explosion.
Survivors of the explosion are suing Texas A&M University, Atmos Energy and CB Construction Company.

On July 31, 2004, a gas explosion consumed the apartment of graduate student Saquib Ejaz. Both his mother and his four year old daughter died from injuries they received in the fire, while his wife and father suffered severe burns. Ejaz, along with other family members, is seeking unspecified monetary damages.

The lawsuit names Texas A&M University, natural gas provider Atmos Energy and Hearne-based CB Construction Company, that installed the gas line.

The State Fire Marshal's Office ruled the explosion was caused by leaking natural gas that entered the building through the apartment's ventilation system.

Since the accident, A&M President Robert Gates put together a task force to investigate the explosion, made administrative changes and began a project to replace all gas pipelines at the complex.


KBTX-TV Channel 3 4141 E. 29th Street Bryan, TX 77802 Phone: (979) 846-7777 Fax: (979) 846-1490 News Fax: (979) 846-1888
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 2093052 - kbtx.com/a?a=2093052