Walker County Drug Death Investigation Complete

By  | 

A month after the practices of the Walker County Sheriff's office came in to question a grand jury's ruling cleared them of all wrongdoing.

The Walker County Sheriff's office says the investigation into the death of Courtney O'Bryant is complete. O'Bryant died in custody after swallowing cocaine. Since then, his family protested saying deputies used excessive force. A Walker County grand jury has found otherwise.

In June the family of 25-year-old Courtney O'Bryant protested at a rally saying O'Bryant's civil rights had been violated.

The family claimed sheriff deputies were responsible for the Huntsville man's death. But a Walker County grand jury disagreed.

"The Walker county grand jury has concluded that Courtney O'Bryant did not die from a result of conduct from any other individual. Mr. O'Bryant died as a result of voluntary ingestion of cocaine, resulting in a cocaine overdose," Walker County District Attorney David Weeks said.

The medical examiner said the autopsy showed O'Bryant had 2.8 milligrams of cocaine per liter of blood, a lethal amount.

Sheriff Investigators say the incident started as a routine traffic stop, because O'Bryant wasn't wearing his seat belt. The situation soon escalated when officers saw O'Bryant had cocaine, then when he swallowed it. Investigators say it turned into a life saving situation.

Walker County Sheriff Clint McRae says his deputies followed procedure in hopes of saving O'Bryant's life and the evidence.

"Based on the video, the recorded statements, and our investigation at this point in time we have no reason to believe we have any wrongdoing in regards to our office therefore no one is on leave," Walker County Sheriff Clint McRae said.

According to Sheriff McRae the investigation is complete.

"This is another tragic loss and senseless death, as a result of illegal drugs," Weeks said.

The Walker County Sheriff's Office was unable to contact O'Bryant's family.

The sheriff office's dash cam did capture the event. Sheriff McRae said they will not release the video until the family is notified about the grand jury's decision.