It's back-to-school time for thousands of students across the Brazos Valley. That means it's time for parents, like Debra Phillips, to dip into their pockets for the latest back to school trends.
"I'm trying to buy for my 14-year-old and I'm letting him pick his own stuff this year," said Phillips.
Phillips makes sure all her son's clothes follow the school dress code.
"We've got basic jeans and shirts with collars and he does pick out a couple tee-shirts," she said.
Those items fall in line with dress code requirements for Bryan and College Station schools. Trends, however, change from year to year, so parents should know what's not allowed in the classroom.
"At Bryan High and all three middle schools sleeveless shirts are not allowed, they are at the elementary schools. Probably the other major area is the length of skirts and shorts," said Sandy Farris, Bryan ISD.
"No mid-drifts showing, sleeveless is not appropriate or anything that's distracting, profane or vulgar," said Eddie Coulson, Acting Superintendent, College Station ISD.
Tee-shirts are allowed in both districts, but parents should pay attention to phrases and/or slogans on the shirts.
"Tee-shirts and so forth that are appropriate, don't advertise alcohol or don't have anything on there that would be rude or vulgar," said Coulson.
In Bryan schools, the dress code covers more than just clothes.
"Ear piercings are fine, any other type of piercing is not allowed. Tattoos are allowed as long as they are not of a nature that is distracting," said Farris.
Some dress code rules will be left to principal discretion. Most of the time, students in violation will be asked to put on a change of clothes. If a student is sent home to change, it will be counted as an unexcused absence.
Bryan ISD Dress Code:
Elementary (K-5th Grade) Dress Code
1. Shoes should be worn at all times. Shoes should be appropriate for identified physical activities. Shoes, such as thongs, shower shoes, or house shoes / house slippers, shall not be allowed on any campus.
2. Sunglasses should only be worn outside.
3. Clothing which advertises alcohol, drugs, tobacco, or the occult/gangs is not permitted.
4. Clothing that promotes violence or is lewd, offensive, vulgar, or contains obscene language is not permitted.
5. Hair should always be clean, well groomed and worn in a manner that is not distracting to other people.
6. Low-cut necklines (front or back) are not permitted.
7. See-through apparel or clothing with holes is not permitted.
8. Tube-tops, halters, spaghetti straps, half shirts, tank tops, muscle shirts, crop tops or any shirt that allows the navel or bra to show, any shirt/blouse that does not come to the waistband or exposes the midriff when sitting or standing must be worn with an undershirt that tucks in.
9. Extremely tight-fitting clothes are not permitted.
10. Curlers or pincurls in hair are not permitted.
11. Hats or caps are not permitted inside the building.
12. Short shorts, short dresses and short skirts are not permitted. They must be longer than your extended fingertips when your hands are held to the side of your body.
13. Clothing that is identified as gang-related is not permitted.
14. Pants that are excessively long or sag below the top of the hip line are not permitted.
15. Clothing not worn as it is intended to be worn is not permitted.
16. Body piercing or tattoos that materially or substantially disrupt school (which includes, but is not limited to, nose rings, eyebrow loops, lip studs and the like) are not permitted.
If you are a Milam or Jones student, you will be required to wear the school uniform. The uniform consists of navy blue pants, skirt or jumper, white top and closed-toe shoes. Denim pants, shorts, or skirt are acceptable substitutes for the navy bottom of the uniform.
Secondary (6th-12th Grade) Dress Code
1. Shoes shall be worn at all times. Shoes should be appropriate for identified physical activities.
2. Short dresses, short shorts, and short skirts are not acceptable. They must be longer than the student's extended fingertips when the student's hands are held to the side of the body. Uniforms, which do not meet the dress code requirements, may be worn as approved by the campus principal.
3. Sunglasses shall only be worn outside.
4. Clothing that advertises alcohol, drugs, tobacco, the occult, or gangs is not permitted.
5. Clothing that promotes violence or is lewd, offensive, vulgar, contains obscene language, or that materially or substantially disrupts is not permitted.
6. Hair shall be a natural color, clean, well groomed, and worn in a manner that is not distracting to other people.
Students shall not wear:
1. low-cut necklines (front and back);
2. see through apparel or clothing with holes;
3. any shirt or blouse without sleeves, tube-tops, halters, spaghetti straps, half shirts, tank tops, muscle shirts, crop tops, or any shirt which allows the navel or bra to show, any shirt/blouse that does not come to the waistband or exposes the midriff when standing or walking must be worn with an undershirt that tucks in;
4. extremely tight-fitting clothes;
5. curlers or pincurls in the hair;
6. house shoes;
7. hats, caps, hoods, or head coverings inside the building;
8. clothing that may be identified as gang-related, including any bandanas
9. pocket chains;
10. pants that are excessively long, large, or sag below the top of the hip line or allow undergarments to show;
11. clothing that is worn in any other way than the way it is intended to be worn;
12. body piercing or tattoos that materially or substantially disrupts (which includes, but not limited to, nose rings, eyebrow loops, lip studs, and the like).
College Station ISD's Dress Code was unavailable.