Brazos Valley Burn Bans: The following counties are under a Burn Ban: Austin, Brazos, Burleson, Grimes, Houston, Lee, Leon, Madison, Milam, Robertson, San Jacinto, Trinity, Walker, Washington
A Brazos County woman diagnosed with West Nile virus is on the road to recovery.
The woman, who was being treated at The College Station Medical Center, was released Tuesday evening.
Hospital officials say the woman, who is over 65 years old, was transferred to a rehabilitation center.
Three people in Brazos County are being tested for West Nile, although the Brazos County Health Department can't confirm the cases until test results return from the State Health Department and the Centers for Disease Control.
The other two patients who are being treated for the virus are Bryan Police officer Donnie Manry and a high school student.
According to the Centers for Disease Control's website, only one in 150 people with West Nile have serious symptoms. "The severe symptoms can include high fever, headache, neck stiffness, stupor, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, muscle weakness, vision loss, numbness and paralysis," the site reads. "These symptoms may last several weeks, and neurological effects may be permanent."
Contrast that with the nearly 20 percent of people who carry the disease but only experience mild fever, head and body aches and nausea. That leaves some 80 percent of humans with West Nile who show absolutely no symptoms.
And according to the CDC, people over the age of 50 are more likely to develop serious symptoms if they don't receive treatment.
To help prevent West Nile, use mosquito repellent with DEET, wear long sleeves and pants outside along with repellent at dusk and dawn, and clear all standing water near your home.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.