Signs of smoke and a burning smell prompted a 9-1-1 call from the Texas A&M Chemistry Building Monday night. Everyone was evacuated about 8 p.m.
The College Station Fire Department was quickly on the scene. With help from an employee from the Physical Plant, firefighters found the cause of the smell in the basement.
It turns out a small malfunction caused a rubber seal in one of the air handlers to melt. A professor on the scene says the building has a large system in the basement to recycle all the air in the facility.
A couple of labs and help sessions were underway inside the chemistry building. About 50 students were asked to evacuate. Everyone made it outside safely.
After firefighters determined the cause of the smell, the doors of the building were opened about 8:30 p.m.
No major damage was reported.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.