Thanksgiving can wreak havoc on your waistline, but the holiday can be just as dangerous for your pets.
Feeding fido scraps, can lead to hefty veterinary bills.
"We end up after the holidays with a big influx and even some emergencies that disrupt the holidays," Gwendolyn Inocencio with Aggieland Animal Health Center said. "It's directly related to the change in food."
You may feel like it's your Thanksgiving duty to share with your furry friends, but doing so can lead to several major medical problems.
"The things we have to worry about with the pets during the holidays are the same things we have to worry about ourselves, pancreatitis, gastrointestinal upsets and things like that," Inocencio said.
When a dog or cat is exposed to foods they normally don't eat, their body doesn't know how to react.
"Pancreatitis is having severe gastrointestinal pains. There is going to be vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, it can be very very dehydrating on them," Inocencio said.
And that's not all, pets can choke on bones found in game birds, and a chocolaty treat can be severely dangerous.
"The darker, the worse it is, the more cocoa content, the worse it's going to be for them and that can also be lethal," Inocencio said.
Another tip: don't forget to take out the trash after the holiday feast, so the dogs don't sneak a bite behind your back.
Other foods you should avoid feeding your pets include, alcoholic beverages, baby food, garlic, onions, bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources. Cat food is generally too high in protein and fats, chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine, citrus oil extracts, and grapes and raisins contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys.