KBTX | Bryan & College Station, TX | News, Weather, Sports

Chlorine Reaction Causes CS Hotel Evacuation

Guests at the Clarion Hotel in College Station were evacuated Wednesday morning following a chlorine reaction at the hotel, according to the College Station Fire Department.

Employees from the Clarion Hotel were working with swimming pool chemicals that caused a violent reaction, causing the release of chlorine gas, said College Station Fire Department's Bart Humphries.

It happened around 11:30 a.m. at 1503 Texas Avenue in College Station.

According to Humphries, three hotel employees were taken to the College Station Medical Center where they were treated for non-life threatening injuries.

One person received chemical burns to the hands and arms, while another employee received chemical burns to the face and eyes. The third person suffered from respiratory problems, said Humphries.

Residue from the reaction was neutralized by personnel from the City of College Station Waste Water Department.

The hotel was evacuated as a precaution. Everyone was let back into the building around 2:00 p.m., according to officials.


KBTX-TV Channel 3 4141 E. 29th Street Bryan, TX 77802 Phone: (979) 846-7777 Fax: (979) 846-1490 News Fax: (979) 846-1888
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 7535547 - kbtx.com/a?a=7535547