Child Dies from Fireworks Accident

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) - Officials say a two-year-old girl has died from burns she suffered when she spilled gasoline on herself and was set on fire by a sparkler her teen sister was holding.

A Lubbock fire marshal says the girl suffered second-degree burns over half her body in the Saturday accident.

The girl died yesterday evening, according to University Medical Center.

It is illegal to possess fireworks, including sparklers, in Lubbock.

On Monday, officials said the teenager was not cited in the incident because, in his words, "to compound the tragedy at that point was probably not going to do any good."

Police officials said earlier this week they were conducting an investigation to determine if anyone was a fault.

Family members told authorities the toddler was seen playing with a gas can during a garage sale, but her parents took the can away when they noticed.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, Trolling or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to comments@kbtx.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus
KBTX-TV Channel 3 4141 E. 29th Street Bryan, TX 77802 Phone: (979) 846-7777 Fax: (979) 846-1490 News Fax: (979) 846-1888
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 8352292 - kbtx.com/a?a=8352292
Gray Television, Inc.