AUSTIN, Texas -- Former presidents, fellow first ladies and about 1,800 other people attended a private funeral today for Lady Bird Johnson, celebrating her memory against a backdrop of the wildflowers and hymns that she loved.
Two huge, multicolored floral displays, posted at the front of the Riverbend Centre sanctuary, included wildflowers and blooms from the gardens of friends of the former first lady, an environmentalist devoted to preserving wildflowers and native plants. Behind the pulpit, a large window looked out onto the Texas Hill Country.
Several family members were expected to speak, as well as TV host Bill Moyers, a former press secretary for the late President Lyndon B. Johnson.
Those attending included
- first lady Laura Bush;
- former first lady Barbara Bush;
- former President Bill Clinton and Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton;
- former President Jimmy Carter and wife Rosalynn Carter;
- former first lady Nancy Reagan;
- Caroline Kennedy, daughter of the late President John F. Kennedy;
- Texas Governor Rick Perry and his wife, Anita.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.