AUSTIN (AP) - A 12-year-old Travis County boy has died after contracting a rare and unusually fatal form of meningitis.
Health officials say John Patrick "Jack" Herrera became sick last week after swimming in Lake LBJ while at summer camp.
He died Wednesday at Dell Children's Medical Center in Austin.
Doctors said the boy had primary amebic meningoencephalitis, a severe brain infection.
Department of State Health Services spokeswoman Emily Palmer says all 34 cases of the infection reported in Texas since 1972 have been fatal.
Jack's family issued a statement saying that his organs were being donated "so that other children may live and overcome their terrible afflictions."
The amoebas responsible for the illness live in soil and in all bodies of fresh water.
They thrive in warm and stagnant water.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.