Two Texas A&M University students are recovering after a small explosion at the Chemistry Annex building.
It happened around 10:45 a.m. in lab 2403 on the fourth floor.
A University spokesperson said graduate students Michael Grubb, of Lantana, and Michelle Warter, of Washington state, were working with dry ice when the glass container over-pressurized and exploded.
A code maroon text message was sent at 10:50 a.m. to around 35,000 students and staff warning them to evacuate the annex and avoid Ross Street.
Other students in the building said they thought the fire alarm was prank.
"There's a lot of confusion during finals and with the alarm (i thought it) just might be someone doing it on purpose or something," said Rodrigo Sanchez-Gonzalez.
The building was evacuated for 30 minutes. Grubb was released from the College Station Medical Center Tuesday afternoon. Warter is being kept overnight.
View Chemistry Annex in a larger map
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.