CHICAGO - Investigators in Chicago have a mystery to solve after new toxicology tests show a Chicago man ingested a lethal dose of cyanide just as he was about to collect nearly $425,000 in lottery winnings.
The July death of 46-year-old Urooj Khan was recently ruled a homicide after a relative asked for an expanded investigation. Chicago police say they've opened a homicide investigation.
Khan died July 20, a day after the check for his scratch-off ticket win was issued. He bought the ticket at a 7-Eleven near his two-story home in West Rogers Park, a neighborhood on Chicago's North Side. He is survived by a wife and a daughter.
The Cook County medical examiner says Khan's body likely will be exhumed as part of the investigation.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.