Electrical Short in Wiring Caused Big Tex Fire

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

DALLAS -- Dallas fire officials say an electrical short in Big Tex's wiring caused the fiery demise of the towering cowboy who had been an icon of the State Fair of Texas for 60 years.

Dallas Fire-Rescue released the official cause of the fire on Tuesday, saying it was due to an "unspecified electrical short."

The 52-foot-tall cowboy who greeted fair-goers with a "Howdy, folks!" was destroyed by fire on Friday. After the blaze was extinguished, the tarp-covered remains were hauled from the fairgrounds on a flatbed truck in a procession resembling a funeral.

Fair organizers have vowed to rebuild Big Tex for next year.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, Trolling or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to comments@kbtx.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus
KBTX-TV Channel 3 4141 E. 29th Street Bryan, TX 77802 Phone: (979) 846-7777 Fax: (979) 846-1490 News Fax: (979) 846-1888
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 175697121 - kbtx.com/a?a=175697121
Gray Television, Inc.