FORT WORTH - Dondre Johnson, co-owner of a shuttered Fort Worth funeral home where eight decomposing bodies were discovered on Tuesday, has been booked on seven charges of abuse of corpse.
Tarrant County Sheriff's Office spokesman Terry Grisham told News 8 that Johnson, 39, turned himself in early Saturday morning, he was fingerprinted, and then was released on a $10,500 bond.
The grisly discovery at Johnson Family Mortuary came two weeks after the owners were evicted from the business at 1051 South Handley Drive.
The Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office spent most of the week identifying the remains and alerting family members, many of whom expressed anger and disbelief. No signs of trauma or foul play were found on the eight bodies, which were said to be in the advanced stages of decomposition when found. Two of the corpses have not yet been positively identified.
The funeral home owned by Dondre and his twin brother Derrick Johnson was already under state investigation, and its license was due to expire at the end of the month.
In a statement earlier this week, Dondre Johnson said the situation was the result of a "misunderstanding" with the building's landlord.
Dondre's wife, Rachel Hardy Johnson, 35, was arrested on Friday and also charged with seven counts of abuse of corpse.
Derrick Johnson has not been arrested; police said they don't believe he was involved in alleged mishandling of corpses.
(The Fort Worth Star-Telegram contributed to this report.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.