The illegal burning of trash caused a grass fire that resulted in the destruction of a storage building at 12761 North Dowling Road in College Station. There were no injuries reported.
Fire department units responded at 11:58 a.m. to a reported grass fire moving toward a storage building. While in route, units reported black smoke showing from the reported location.
The first unit arrived on the scene at 12:04 p.m. and reported that the storage building was already engulfed in fire. Firefighters were able to extinguish the grass fire and confine the remainder of the fire to the storage building and surrounding vegetation.
The Fire Marshal's Office determined that the fire originated from a trash fire that had gotten out of control. Because open burning is prohibited by city ordinance, the property owner was issued a ticket for illegal burning within the city limits.
All citizens should be aware that because of the current severe drought conditions Brazos and surrounding counties are under a burn ban.
Ten College Station Fire Department units, staffed by 24 personnel responded to this fire. They were assisted by several police department officers, personnel from South Brazos County Volunteer Fire Department, personnel from College Station Public Works, the Community Action Response Team (CART), and the Rehab Team.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.