Live Updates from the Stanley Griffin Trial

By  | 

- Click Here for a Recap of Day 8 of the Trial

- Click Here for a Recap of Day 7 of the Trial

- Click Here for a Recap of Day 6 of the Trial

- Click Here for a Recap of Day 5 of the Trial

- Click Here for a Recap of Day 4 of the Trial

- Click Here for a Recap of Day 3 of the Trial

- Click Here for a Recap of Day 2 of the Trial

- Click Here for a Recap of Day 1 of the Trial

- Click Here for the Preview of the Trial

According to police reports, on September 20, 2010 shortly before 5:00 a.m., a dispatcher at Madisonville 911 received a call from Jennifer Hailey’s mother, Nancy, who lives in the Madison County seat.

Nancy said Jennifer’s nine-year-old son had called and told her a black man had entered their home on Pedernales Drive in College Station, killed his mother and strangled him.

Madisonville PD called College Station Police, and at 5:04 a.m., authorities say they arrived at the home. Hailey’s brother, Jason, had already arrived after being called by his mother.

Jennifer Hailey was said to be dead on the living room floor when police arrived. Her son was bleeding heavily from wounds on his neck.

Jason said when he had gotten there, the doors were locked and Jennier's son had let him in. Jason said he found Jennifer unconscious on the bed in her bedroom, and that he had moved her body to the living room to perform CPR.

After being transported to the College Station Medical Center, the child was interviewed by police. He told them at 10:00 p.m. on September 19, a tall, skinny black male with short hair, wearing an orange shirt and blue jeans came to his home to see his mother. The son said he thought the man’s name was Michael and that he was from Huntsville.

Jennifer's son said he woke up during the night, walked to his mother’s bedroom and found the man on top of Jennifer choking her. The child said the man later went to his room and began hitting him in the face and neck. The boy eventually got up, went back to his mother’s room and found Jennifer dead. He then said he called his grandmother.

Hailey's son underwent surgery and survived the attack.

A friend of Jennifer’s at The Med told police Jennifer had another friend, a homeless man named Stanley Griffin, who matched the description of the suspect and had come to mind as a possible suspect. The friend said Griffin had wanted to move in with Jennifer three weeks earlier, but she had refused.

Griffin did match the description. Authorities went to a pair of residences on Airline Drive in College Station where his family lived. They first met with his sister, who said Griffin had come there between 5:00 and 5:30 a.m. on September 20, ate something, stayed on her couch and went across the street to his mother’s house.

After several minutes waiting at that next home, Griffin’s brother answered the door and let police in. They found a freshly-showered, clean-clothed Griffin hiding in a bedroom. His brother told authorities he had run from the couch to the bedroom when he found out police were at the door.

Griffin had fresh scratch marks on his left elbow and on his pinky finger. A sock on Griffin’s right foot had blood spatter on it.

At 4:30 p.m. the day of Jennifer Hailey's murder, her son was shown six photographs of people and asked to tell police if one of them was the man who had killed his mother and attacked him. He picked out the picture of Griffin.