New Photos Show Bryan Firefighters Recovering in Galveston Hospital

By  | 

New pictures of two Bryan firefighters severely burned nearly a month ago while trying to rescue a fellow firefighter trapped in a building fire show Ricky Matey, Jr., and Mitch Moran recovering at the University of Texas Medical Branch Burn Unit in Galveston.

Fellow firefighters Eric Wallace and Greg Pickard were killed in that Knights of Columbus Hall fire. Mantey and Moran have been undergoing treatment since the fire.

"They would walk out of there right now if the doctors would let them," laughed Bryan Fire Chief Randy McGregor. He's is talking about two of his own.

Ricky Mantey, Jr., and Mitch Moran improve everyday while recovering in a Hospital in Galveston. The photos News 3 got Monday were taken on McGregor's last visit.

"They're progressing," said McGregor.

"It's a long road ahead, but again, their optimism is really uplifting for all of us," he continued.

McGregor said that each surgery the two firefighters go through sets them back a little. He says that's what happens with a recovery like this. McGregor says the two men are getting physical therapy and even cracking a few jokes. A welcome sign that these two men are along way from where they were when they arrived.

Just over three weeks ago that Bryan firefighters responded to the corner of Groesbeck and Palasota. The Knights of Columbus Hall was on fire. As crews began to battle the blaze, the events that unfolded would forever change the lives of four men.

There are only two men now who can talk about what exactly happened that February night.

"They wanted to talk about [the fire] some and, also, they had some answers we were needing as well," explained McGregor.

"They're two very dedicated men of our department and they take their jobs very serious. Their biggest concerns were making sure they didn't let anybody down," shared McGregor.

The recovery is slow and painful. McGregor says Mantey and Moran are focused on getting back to work.

"That's the goal," said McGregor.

"They want to be back on the trucks responding to calls," he said.

Mantey and Moran have months of recovery ahead of them before being released from the hospital. They both are extremely appreciative of the support from the community and can't wait to come back home.

Pictured here standing around Bryan Probationary Firefighter Mitch Moran is (from left to right): Bryan Fire Chief Randy McGregor, Assistant Chief Terry Barnett, and Fire Marshal Marc McFeron. Moran was injured in a fire at the Knight's of Columbus Hall on February 16th.
Pictured here standing around Bryan Firefighter Ricky Mantey, Jr. (from left to right): Fire Marshal Marc McFeron, Bryan Fire Chief Randy McGregor, and Assistant Chief Terry Barnett. Mantey was injured at a fire at the Knight's of Columbus Hall on February 16th.