COLLEGE STATION, Texas Hundreds of apartments residents in College Station are without hot water and heat Monday night after a gas leak created problems at the Southgate Village Apartments.
Crews are working to repair the natural gas at the apartments on Luther Street.
There's a pretty big hole in the ground as crews are replacing the gas line that we are told had several leaks in it.
After the gas was shut off Sunday night, residents now have the option to stay in their homes or stay at a temporary shelter the Red Cross has set up at A&M Consolidated Middle School.
All 526 residents were notified door to door and by signs telling them about the gas line problems. Southgate Village management told News 3 the Red Cross is providing shelter and food for as long as needed and they are working to get the problem fixed quickly.
It's unknown still why the gas line started leaking.
Some residents we spoke with were staying home despite not having heat or hot water while others were still deciding if they want to stick it out for the night.
Many of the units were getting pretty cold.
"But if it were really me I'd stay here, I mean I wouldn't mind, but it's better to have the gas on you know when you ain't got to go nowhere, be comfortable in my own home, said Shawn Deere, a Southgate Village resident.
"It is under control it is being taken care of. We do have you know everything that we can do is being done," said Teresa Roese, Southgate Village Apartments Assistant Manager.
"I've kind of talked to the Red Cross and we kind of estimate there's a potential to about 100 people that might seek shelter tonight," said Brian Hilton, Emergency Management Coordinator for the City of College Station.
The good news is there is not any immediate danger in the area and the plumbing crew we spoke with believes it should be fixed by Tuesday morning.