Shooting Leaves One Killeen Officer Dead, Another Injured

By  | 

Two Killeen police officers who exchanged gunfire with a man armed with an AK47 were wounded and one later died, officials confirmed Sunday.

The names of the two officers weren’t immediately released.
The shooting occurred at around midnight at the Grandon Manor Apartments at 1611 Grandon Dr. in Killeen

The officers, who were members of the Killeen Police Department’s SWAT team, were attempting to negotiate with a man who holed up in an apartment after earlier coming out with a weapon and threatening people at the pool.

When officers arrived they found the man inside apartment No. 6E “holding a long rifle in a threatening manner,” police said Sunday.

The SWAT team was deployed just minutes before midnight.

As SWAT officers attempted to talk with the suspect, the man fired one shot then came to the door with his hands up.

He failed to come out of the apartment, however, and as officers attempted to arrest him, he backed into the apartment, picked up the AK47 and opened fire, hitting the two officers.

Other officers returned fire and killed the man, who was not immediately identified.

The two wounded officers were taken to Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center in critical condition.

One of them was pronounced dead at 1:27 a.m. Sunday.

The second officer was transferred to Scott & White Hospital in Temple and underwent surgery Sunday morning for a gunshot wound to the leg.

He was out of surgery and doing OK Sunday afternoon, police said.
It was the Killeen Police Department's first line-of-duty shooting death and only the second in the city's history.

“Early this morning, this community experienced the loss of one of Killeen’s finest. The days ahead will be challenging, but for now, we are mourning the loss of a great officer. Our hearts and prayers go out to the officer’s family during this difficult time” said police Chief Dennis Baldwin.

According to online records, the last time a Killeen law enforcement officer was shot to death in the line of duty was on April 6, 1917 when town marshal John T. Blair, 46, was gunned down while trying to stop a shootout between and father and son.

He left a wife and four daughters behind.