DALLAS -- The twister that ripped through the town of Granbury on Wednesday night killed at least six people and injured dozens of others. Here are the worst tornadoes ever to hit Texas, based on number of deaths and injuries:
1. May 11, 1953 - 114 killed, 597 injured in Waco
2. May 18, 1902 - 114 killed, 250 injured in Goliad
3. April 12, 1927 - 74 killed, 205 injured in Rocksprings
4. April 9, 1947 - 68 killed, 272 injured in Texas in tornado that struck the Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma and southwestern Kansas
5. April 10, 1979 - 42 killed, 1,700 injured in Wichita Falls
6. May 6, 1930 - 41 killed, 200 injured in Frost
7. May 6, 1930 - 36 killed, 60 injured in Karnes and Dewitt counties
8. May 30, 1909 - 34 killed, 70 injured in Zephyr
9. May 22, 1987 - 30 killed, 121 injured in Saragosa
10. May 11, 1970 - 28 killed, 500 injured in Lubbock
11. May 27, 1997 - 27 killed and 12 injured in Jarrell
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.