Texas State University Bomb Threat Suspect Maintains Innocence

By  | 

Earlier this year Texas A&M ordered a mass evacuation on campus after an e-mailed bomb threat.

It happened just a day after a similar threat at Texas State University in San Marcos.

A local woman originally suspected of being involved in both threats is out of jail and denying her involvement.

Brittany Henderson is no longer a person of interest in the A&M bomb threat case, but she is charged in the threat against Texas State.

19-year-old Brittany Henderson of Bryan says she's wrongly accused of sending bomb threat e-mails to Texas State University Back in October.

Federal Investigators as well Texas A&M Police have charged her ex-boyfriend Dereon Kelly with sending the threats from her Yahoo! e-mail account.

Now she's hoping to have her name cleared.

Brittany Henderson had some reasons to smile as she sat in a law office in Downtown Bryan.

"I'm still really angry at the whole process of even a day in jail is too long for an innocent person to be in jail, let alone 42 days. So when I got out I was extremely happy," said Henderson.

The Bryan woman says she's never been in trouble with the law before until her arrest October 23rd for making false alarms and terroristic threats against Texas State University.

Five days earlier three buildings at Texas State University were evacuated after an e-mail was received threatening to blow up the admissions building.

The next day Texas A&M received an e-mail threat.

Investigators say both threats came from Brittany Henderson's Yahoo! e-mail account.

However her ex-boyfriend Dereon Kelly has been indicted in federal court for making the threats to Texas State.

He's charged with the A&M threat too.

"It's just ridiculous," Henderson added.

Henderson returned home last week after her bond was lowered from $40,500 To $5,000.

Her defense attorney John Quinn says she's cooperated with investigators.

"I've probably done 15,000 criminal cases and I can only think of two including her where I truly believe they didn't do anything," said Quinn.

"Everything will work out," Brittany Henderson added.

Her defense attorney also told us Henderson has lost her job, reputation, cellphone and computer.

They are considering a lawsuit against Texas State University and even Hays County pending the outcome of the case.

Henderson says she was in the process of transferring to Texas A&M to pursue a career in nursing and had withdrawn from Texas State prior to her arrest.

She now says she wants to pursue a career as a defense attorney.

The Hays County District Attorney's Office in San Marcos tells News 3 they hope to make a decision on the case within the next 30 days.

Texas State University Police are still reviewing evidence and are expected to forward all of their documents to the D.A. soon.

Dereon Kelly's federal trial is set for January 22nd.

He remains in federal custody without bond in the Houston area.