FLSA Status: Exempt Job Status: Full Time
Work Schedule: Managers are expected to work the number of hours required to complete their tasks. Reports To: Owners
Amount of Travel Required: N/A
Ensure the timely production of assigned wine blends and Messina Hof products while meeting company and government regulatory standards. Responsible for assuring quality and brand requirements are met for all wines and brands under his/her direction. This position will oversee all laboratory analysis, wine movements, operation of the bottling line, crush pad operations and vineyard management.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
• Prepare assigned wine blends to meet brand quality requirements, CWUS specifications, regulatory requirements and packaging schedules
• Manage allocated wine inventories to optimize blend quality
• Assist with supervision of all lab analysis on juices and wines and ensure proper documentation of all additions, movements, and changes in the lab books
• Provide wine quality assurance for finished wines and imported wines brought to Messina Hof for bottling and packaging
• Assist in providing technical direction to cellar and laboratory staff as necessary to meeting winemaking and wine blending objectives
• Work on new products or product reformulation projects as required
• Assist in operation, maintenance and supervision of the bottling line and crush pad including any personnel assigned to those operations
• Assist with receiving, prioritization and processing of all bulk grapes during the harvest season
• Help with movement of all wine from grape to tank to bottle to removal from winery
• Forecast assistance regarding bottling needs and supplies required, including labels, bottles, wax, etc.
• Assist with purchasing and maintaining stock levels of winemaking and lab supplies
• Assist with purchasing and maintaining stock levels of all cleaning products used to clean wine equipment, crush pad, bottling line, barrels, or any other production related cleaning
• Participate in vineyard quality evaluations
• Help execute a winery training program to ensure all production staff are following correct protocol
• Ability to use all wine processing equipment, including but not limited to, filters, pumps, press, bottling equipment, etc.
• Daily completion of wine movement and lab records.
• Help generate and coordinate daily movement work orders and oversee execution of daily work orders within the department
• Prepare yeast inoculates and monitor all fermentations
• Assist with organization and sanitation in all winemaking spaces, bottling line areas, crush pad and tank/barrel areas
• Care and maintenance of all production machinery, equipment and supplies. Problem solve equipment malfunctions
• Enter monthly computer records of bulk wine inventory, and help reconcile to physical inventory
• Assist in preparation of monthly bulk inventory reports for use in TTB and TABC tax statements
• Responsible for issuing and maintaining records of lockout/tagout permits and confined space permits
• Perform other duties as required
• BS in Viticulture, Enology and/or three (3) years minimum equivalent industry experience
• Strong technical background and wine tasting ability
• Strong understanding of winemaking theory, practice, lab procedures, bottling and production timelines
• Ability to work effectively with coworkers and perform duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with the company’s values
• Ability to work flexible and extended hours as needed, and as required, be on call 24 hours per day as it relates to emergencies and wine quality issues
• Ability to use a personal computer
The physical demands described her are representative of those that must be met by and employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, and crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee is frequently required to stand for long periods of time. The employee must frequently climb up and down stairs and ladders, and climb on top of tanks and equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The work may be performed either inside or outside.