Stars of the popular 1990s comedy Boy Meets World reunited in Austin last week to discuss growing up while on the hit show and tease its upcoming spin-off Girl Meets World.
Ben Savage, who played Cory Matthews in the coming-of-age comedy, was joined by Rider Strong (Shawn), Matthew Lawrence (Jack), Maitland Ward (Rachel), and creator Michael Jacobs at the ATX Television Festival. Danielle Fishel (Topanga) was not present, but had pre-taped a Q&A that was played for the fans.
TNT's 72 Hours and other must-see summer TV shows
Here are six things fans learned from the reunion panel:
1. Shawn is one of a kind Although the first three episodes featured young guys who were intended to be part of a bromantic trio, Strong's became the show's go-to BFF to Cory, bypassing the need for anyone else. "I had like two lines in the pilot," Strong revealed in the Q&A. But once Topanga came joined, the show's trio was set.
2. Looking for love is hard Shawn's love interest Angela (Trina McGee) wasn't as easy to cast. She went through five rounds of auditioning.
3. Boy Meets World groupies? One family went to every taping of the show and earned themselves the (affectionate) nickname The Stalker Family.
4. A long, loving take Adolescent emotions brimmed over while taping the show's finale, which culminated in Mr. Feeney's (William Daniels) classroom, which was shot all in one take. "We did that scene all in one take because were all just wrecked," Strong admitted. "It was almost like saying goodbye to our childhood," Savage, 32, added. "It's hard for me to even watch that scene."
Girl Meets Maxim: See Danielle Fishel's racy cover
5. The next generation likely on the way The Girl Meets World Disney Channel pilot, which centers on Cory, Topanga, and their 13-year-old daughter Riley (Rowan Blanchard), was filmed in March is awaiting pickup. As was previously reported, Mr. Feeny (William Daniels) will appear in the pilot. Besides that, mum's the word from the cast and creator about what else to expect.
6. Cory + Topanga = 4eva Acting again with Savage for Girl Meets World, Fishel said that he will always hold a special place in her heart. "Reuniting with Ben has been even better than I could have possibly imagined it was going to be," she said. "The minute we walked into rehearsal, Ben was Cory and I was Topanga, and we were together, and it was like no time had passed."
Will you be watching Girl Meets World if it goes to series? Do you have a favorite Boy Meets World moment?
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.