PARIS (AP) — Bernard Tomic's hitting partner is calling for the Australian tennis player's father to be banned from the sport following an alleged assault.
John Tomic was charged with assault after allegedly head-butting the hitting partner, Thomas Drouet, on Saturday before this week's Madrid Open.
In an interview with French sports daily L'Equipe on Tuesday, Drouet says he wants "to help Bernard forbid his father from having access to tournaments" and for him "to be banned from the ATP and the WTA."
Drouet says he saw the elder Tomic hit his son last week, adding "What next? He is a dangerous person, who has nothing to do in this sport of gentlemen."
A Madrid court said Monday that John Tomic disputed the charges and will face trial May 14.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.