In this Aug. 5, 2011 file photo, the Lexus logo is displayed on a Lexus sedana in the showroom at Lexus of Kendall in Miami. Lexus is the top performer in a survey of vehicle dependability released Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2012, but most other brands also showed improvement in an industry that has reached historically high dependability levels. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky, File)
DETROIT (AP) — Lexus, Porsche and Lincoln are the best performers in an annual survey of vehicle dependability.
The J.D. Power and Associates survey — released Wednesday — measures problems experienced in the last year by owners of 3-year-old vehicles.
This year, owners reported an average of 126 problems per 100 vehicles from the 2010 model year. That was down 5 percent from 2012, and it's the lowest level of problems since this survey began in 1989.
Problems can include anything from engine failure to dashboard electronics glitches to excessive wind noise. J.D. Power questions 37,000 owners.
Toyota and Mercedes-Benz were also among the best performers. Jeep, Mitsubishi, Dodge and Land Rover got the worst rankings.
Ram saw the biggest gain in the rankings, while Toyota's youth-oriented Scion brand fell the furthest.
TOP 3 MODELS by TYPE and SIZE (via USA Today)
In order of ranking, fewer than three means no others ranked above segment average in problems per 100 vehicles:
• Subcompact car: Scion xD, Toyota Yaris, Hyundai Accent
• Compact car: Toyota Prius, Ford Focus, Mazda3
• Compact Sporty Car: Mazda MX-5 Miata, Mini Cooper, Scion tC
• Compact Premium Sporty Car: Nissan Z, Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe, Volvo C70
• Mid-size Sporty Car: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
• Mid-size car: Hyundai Sonata, Ford Fusion, Buick LaCrosse
• Large Car: Buick Lucerne, Toyota Avalon, Chevrolet Impala
• Entry Premium Car: Lexus ES350, Lincoln MKZ, Cadillac CTS
• Mid-size Premium Car:Audi A6, Volvo S80, Lexus GS 350/GS 460
• Compact Multipurpose Vehicle: Scion xB, Chevrolet HHR, Kia Soul
• Compact Crossover/SUV: Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, Toyota FJ Cruiser
• Mid-size Crossover/SUV: Honda Crosstour, Toyota Venza, Toyota 4Runner
• Large Crossover/SUV: Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Yukon, Toyota Sequoia
• Entry Premium Crossover/SUV: Acura RDX, Audi Q5
• Mid-size Premium Crossover/SUV: Lexus RX, Volvo XC70
• Minivan: Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey
• Mid-size Pickup: Ford Ranger, Ram Dakota, Honda Ridgeline
• Large Pickup: GMC Sierra HD, GMC Sierra (light), Chevrolet Avalanche
2012 NAMEPLATE RANKING
Problems per 100 vehicles, average for all models:
• Lexus 71
• Porsche 94
• Lincoln 112
• Toyota 112
• Mercedes-Benz 115
• Buick 118
• Honda 119
• Acura 120
• Ram 122
• Suzuki 122
• Mazda 124
• Chevrolet 125
INDUSTRY AVERAGE 128
• Ford 127
• Cadillac 128
• Subaru 132
• BMW 133
• GMC 134
• Scion 135
• Nissan 137
• Infiniti 137
• Kia 140
• Hyundai 141
• Audi 147
• Volvo 140
• Mini 150
• Chrysler 153
• Jaguar 164
• Volkswagen 174
• Jeep 178
• Mitsubishi 178
• Dodge 190
• Land Rover 220
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.