I noticed last week that the coasters I have are dull and about to fall apart. Instead of going out and buying some generic coasters, I decided to make my own. The project itself is not difficult but you do have to be patient since you will have to wait for coats of sealant and mod podge to dry. If you want to make your own unique coasters, here's what to do:
To do this project you will need:
- 4 in. x 4 in. ceramic tiles (the amount depends on how many coasters you decide to make)
- Mod Podge
- Small brush
- Felt pads
- Clear, waterproof sealant
1. Gather your supplies. I went to my local Home Depot and bought several 4 x 4 inch white ceramic tiles, each costing 39 cents. I also bought one larger sized ceramic tile for 48 cents. This larger size would be great if you needed something to set a larger container (like a pitcher) on. The rest of the supplies I bought at Wal-Mart or already had them at home. The pictures I used were from an old gift bag I received. You can use pictures from calendars, photos, magazines, or virtually any other piece of design.
2. Cut the picture so that it fits onto the tile.
3. Brush a thin layer of Mod Podge on the tile. Lay the picture on it and smooth it out. Make sure there are no air bubbles. Then, let it dry for about an hour.
4. Apply 2-3 thin coats of Mod Podge over the tiles and be sure to let it dry completely between coats.
5. Apply 2 coats of the waterproof sealer over the tiles, allowing each coat to completely dry.
6. Attach the felt pads to the bottom of the tiles.
Now you are all set to use your very own coasters!
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.