Howdy y'all! The Cotton Bowl is almost here and all I have to say is... tailgating. Yeah, let's show these Oklahoma fans what the SEC is all about working hard and playing hard. Tailgate like a pro with these traditional, simple drink recipes.
Filled with Flavor Jello Shots
Let's start with something no one can resist, Jello Shots. I'm going to brag a little here... I pride myself on my amazing ability to create irresistible Jello Shots. The secret to my success? Flavored vodka.
16 oz. package of your favorite Jello flavor
2 cups of water
2 cups of your choice of flavored vodka.
Tip: Burnetts Vodka is the best tasting for the best price.
1. Pour gelatin into a bowl.
2. Add 2 cups boiling water, stirring until the gelatin is dissolved.
3. Stir in 2 cups of cold liquor.
4. Refrigerate until cool.
5. Pour into shot glasses. Tip: You can find plastic shot glasses at most dollar stores or Kroger.
6. Refrigerate until the liquid sets. (At least 2 hours, but overnight refrigeration is recommended)
Repeat until you have all the jello shots your heart desires!
Brennan's Trash Can Punch
Beware this is a dangerous combination! Grab a large cooler, make sure it's clean, and get ready to get knocked off your feet. You might have to experiment to get this just right depending on the size of your cooler and how strong you want your punch, but the key to success is the fruit.
Fruit punch (Hawaiian)
Red fruit punch powder
A variety of fruits (oranges, apples and pineapples are my favorite)
1. Combine the vodka, Everclear, fruit punch, fruit punch powder (to cover the alcohol taste and sprite into the cooler.
2. Cut fruit into slices, then place in the cooler allowing them to sit overnight so the fruit can soak in the alcohol.
3. When you're ready to hit the road, add ice, and don't forget the solo cups!
If you spent Wine-O Wednesday at the Dixie Chicken you and Sangria are probably pretty good friends. One of my favorite recipes is Southern Living's version. It's to die for!
1/4 cup sugar
2 (750-milliliter) bottles dry red wine $
1/2 cup orange juice $
1/2 cup peach nectar*
1/4 cup orange liqueur
2 to 3 cups club soda, chilled
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 lime, thinly sliced
1 orange, thinly sliced $
1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
1. Bring sugar and 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and let stand 10 minutes.
2. Combine sugar mixture, red wine, and next 3 ingredients in a large container; cover and chill 4 hours. Stir in club soda and next 4 ingredients just before serving. Serve over ice, if desired.
*1/2 cup orange juice may be substituted.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Columbia Crest Two Vines Merlot for dry red wine and Grand Marnier for orange liqueur.
Sangría Blanco: Omit orange juice and peach nectar. Substitute dry white wine for red wine, lemon-lime soft drink for club soda, and 1 pt. fresh strawberries for 1 Granny Smith apple. Increase orange liqueur to 1 cup, 1 lemon to 2, 1 lime to 2, and 1 orange to 2. Prepare recipe as directed, stirring in 3/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves with wine in Step 2.
As we all know some people can't handle their liquor, so make sure you have a selection of beers and wines for a tailgate party your friends won't forget!
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.