SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — News agency Reuters has suspended with pay a deputy social media editor after he was indicted on federal charges of conspiring with the hacking group Anonymous to deface an online story of the Los Angeles Times.
Reuters spokesman David Girardin told The Associated Press Friday in an email that Matthew Keys, 26, was suspended on Thursday with pay. He did not elaborate.
Federal authorities allege that in December 2010, Keys provided hackers with login information to access the computer system of the Tribune Co., the parent company of the Times that also owns a Sacramento television station Keys was fired from months before. Keys' Facebook page says he worked as an online news producer for FOX affiliate KTXL from June 2008 to April 2010.
Reuters hired Keys in 2012 as a deputy editor for social media. He didn't return a phone call or respond to email messages seeking comment.
"I'm okay," he tweeted Friday in response to a journalism colleague wondering how he was doing.
Investigators allege that Keys gave a hacker named "Sharpie" the login information in an Internet chat room frequented by hackers and urged the hacker to do some damage to the Tribune Co.
According to the indictment, Sharpie altered a Times news story posted Dec. 14 and 15, 2010, to read "Pressure builds in House to elect CHIPPY 1337," a reference to another hacking group. "Chippy 1337" claimed responsibility for defacing the website of video game publisher Eidos in 2011.
A second attempt to hack the Times was unsuccessful, according to the indictment.
Federal prosecutors allege in court papers that a legendary hacker and Anonymous leader named "Sabu" offered advice on how to infiltrate Tribune's systems. The FBI unmasked Sabu when it arrested Hector Xavier Monsegur on June 7, 2011. Monsegur secretly worked as an FBI informant until federal officials announced that he helped them arrest five other alleged hackers on March 6, 2012.
Federal officials declined to comment on whether Sabu assisted in the investigation of Keys.
The day after it was announced that Sabu was an FBI informant, Keys wrote a story for Reuters about "infiltrating" the hackers' chat room.
Keys is charged with one count each of conspiracy to transmit information to damage a protected computer, as well as transmitting and attempting to transmit that information. If convicted, the New Jersey native faces a combined 25 years prison and a $500,000 fine if sentenced to the maximum for each count. He is scheduled for arraignment April 12 in Sacramento.
The indictment comes after recent hacks into the computer systems of two other U.S. media companies that own The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. Both newspapers reported in February that their computer systems had been infiltrated by China-based hackers, likely to monitor media coverage the Chinese government deems important.
Anonymous and its offshoot, Lulz Security, have been linked to a number of high-profile computer attacks and crimes, including many that were meant to embarrass governments, federal agencies and corporate giants. They have been connected to attacks that took data from FBI partner organization InfraGard, and they've jammed websites of the CIA and the Public Broadcasting Service.
A computer security specialist said the LA Times attack would be an unusual hack if the government's charges are accurate.
"This is first case where I've heard of someone leaking stuff to Anonymous to have a site defaced, instead of defacing it himself," said Clifford Neuman, director of University of Southern California Center for Computer Systems Security. "He found some way to achieve his ends of defacing the website without having to do it himself."
A spokesman for the Chicago-based Tribune Co. declined to comment.
According to Keys' Facebook profile, he is single, lives in New York City and works at Reuters' New York office, where "I get paid to use Twitter and Facebook at work."
Reuters, a unit of New York-based Thomson Reuters Corp., has been expanding its business in the United States. This year, six of the Tribune's seven newspapers dropped The Associated Press for Reuters, citing cost savings. The Los Angeles Times stayed with AP.