COLLEGE STATION, TX -- Mike Rosario scored 19 points and Patric Young added 18 as No. 10 Florida cruised to a 68-47 victory over Texas A&M on Thursday night.
The Aggies led by one point midway through the first half before a big run by the Gators gave them a 35-18 halftime lead, and they didn't let up in the second half.
It was a letdown for Texas A&M (12-4, 2-1 Southeastern Conference), which was coming off an 83-71 victory at Kentucky on Saturday. Elston Turner scored a career-high 40 points in that win, but managed just four points Thursday on 1-of-10 shooting.
It is the fifth straight win for Florida (13-2, 3-0) which is in the midst of playing four of five games on the road.
TEAM RECORDS & SERIES NOTES
● Texas A&M fell to 12-4 on the season with a 2-1 mark in SEC play.
● Florida, meanwhile, improved to 13-2 overall with a perfect 3-0 mark in league play.
● The Gators now lead the all-time series between the schools by the count of 3-1.
● The crowd of 11,046 was a season-high for Texas A&M and the most since 11,818 against Missouri on Feb. 18, 2012.
● The Aggies scored a season-low 47 points in the contest, shooting just 34 percent (15-of-50) from the field.
● Florida, meanwhile, shot 50 percent for the game, converting 25-of-50 shot attempts.
● Texas A&M out-rebounded its opponent for a third consecutive game, holding a 33-28 advantage on the boards.
● Freshman Alex Caruso led the Aggies in scoring with 12 points on the night, the second highest total in his young A&M career behind a 13-point performance against Troy on Nov. 12.
● Fellow rookie guard J’Mychal Reese reached double-figures in scoring for the fifth time in his career, finishing with 10 points.
● Senior guard Elston Turner saw his double-figure scoring streak snapped at 15 games, ending with play with four points on 1-of-10 shooting.
● Texas A&M head coach Billy Kennedy is now 26-22 in his second season at Texas A&M and 237-201 in 14 years as a head coach.
FIRST HALF NOTES
● Florida led 35-18 after 20 minutes of action.
● The Aggies made 8-of-24 first period shots (33.3 percent) … The Gators, meanwhile, shot a blistering 55.6 percent (15-of-27) and made five 3-point baskets.
● The Gators outscored A&M 22-4 over the final 8:55 of the period, including a 14-0 run to end the half.
● UF’s Mike Rosario made 5-of-8 first period shot attempts for a game-high 14 points … Freshman J’Mychal Reese led the Aggies with five points at the break.
SECOND HALF NOTES
● Florida outscored Texas A&M 33-29 after halftime.
● The Aggies missed their first nine shot attempts to start the second half, before a Ray Turner put-back at the 16:16 mark.
● A&M made 9-of-26 second half field goals (.346), while Florida made 10-of-23 (.435).
● 11 of Alex Caruso’s team-leading 12 points came after halftime.
● Next up for the Aggies is a trip to Tuscaloosa, Ala., to face Alabama on Saturday.
● Florida returns home to battle No. 17/16 Missouri on Saturday.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.