Texas A&M student Jordan Powell takes a look at local opinions on the United States arming rebel groups in Syria. Need to know more? Here are 8 facts to get you started:
1. It began with the “Arab Spring” a wave of demonstrations and protests instigated by dissatisfaction in absolute monarchy, human rights violations, and extreme poverty.
2. President of Syria, Bashar al-Assad ordered a mass crackdown on these demonstrations and protests, leading to the Syrian civil war/ revolution.
3. Casualties are climbing while tens of thousands are fleeing Syria to seek refuge in neighboring countries.
4. The United Nations has estimated over 100,000 casualties as a result of this turmoil.
5. 1.8 million people have fled Syria.
6. It has been known that Syrian rebels have been tied to terrorist groups such as Al Quaida, and Hezbollah for more help in this war.
7. The existence of chemical weapons has created more of a concern in the US and nations around the world.
8. Egypt’s President announced on June 15 that he was cutting off diplomatic relations with Syria because of the presence of Hezbollah.
For more information on the topic see the links below. Have an opinion? We would love to hear your take!