With Flu season in full swing, it is never too late to help your body protect itself from falling for the virus. If you (like me) failed to get the Flu Shot, you are not completely out of luck. There are several simple ways that you can prevent yourself from suffering from the Flu.
Tips to help avoid the Flu:
· Try to avoid contact with people who already have the Flu. One of my roommates got diagnosed with the flu earlier this week and she has been locked away in her room since then! (If you must be around someone with the Flu, be careful not to touch the things they have touched)
· Wash your hands. During this time of year, you should do this as much as possible. Go grab a tube of Purell Hand Sanitizer for when you’re on the go!
· Next time you shower, leave the vent running in order to keep the air in your house as clean as possible. (I tried this while I was showering this morning and it also helps reduce the amount of steam on your mirror)
· Avoid touching your eyes and mouth- these areas spread the disease quickest.
· While you are getting your hand sanitizer, try getting some Emergen-C. This is a great drink for anytime of day. There are many different flavors to try. Most people mix them with water, but I think they taste better when mixed with Sprite.
· Stay hydrated. Drinking lots of fluids will help your body’s respiratory system liquefy the mucus that can cause respiratory infections.
· Change out your toothbrush. If you start to feel Flu-like symptoms, get a new toothbrush. You don’t want to be putting bad the bad germs back into your body.
· Try sleeping with an extra pillow under your head. If you think you might be getting the Flu, try this as it can eliminate nasal congestion.
· Get as much Vitamin C in your body as possible. This is something that should be done year around, but it is especially essential during this time of year.
· Get as much exercise as possible. Exercising is a great way to build your immune system. Any exercise is better than nothing.
Although there is no way of completely dodging the Flu, your chances of getting it will certainly decrease if you are aware of the simple things that you can do everyday to prevent it from taking over your body. Best of luck!