COLLEGE STATION, Texas A military vet is betting he can raise big bucks for wounded soldiers.
John Christensen, 29, is a husband, soon to be father, college student, military vet and avid poker player.
After serving two tours in Iraq, Christensen said he's home where he belongs, but now the former Army military police officer wants to give back to the soldiers who gave more than their time.
"You know you see it every day, you see the bumper stickers. I wanted to be the one who did a little bit more," said Christensen. "It's not enough for me to say hey, support our troops."
Christensen created a custom-made deck of cards and began his quest to sell them one by one. The project is called Chips4soldiers.
For each card, Christensen asks for a $35 donation. Once all the cards are sold, Christensen said he'll pack his bags and head to Florida for the World Poker Tour in Jacksonville.
Christensen said he won't see a dime of the winnings. He said 40 percent will go to two lucky card holders, and the remaining 60 percent will go to the Wounded Warrior Project.
"You can go spend $35 at a restaurant, you can spend it at the movies, you can spend it playing miniature golf. And it's all fun and good until you get home and forget about it a week from now," said Christensen. "With Chips4soldiers, you're supporting something that our country needs right now."
Christensen said he wants to win big, but knows he could lose it all. If so, he said the most important thing is to get the message out.
To find out more information on chips4soldiers or the Wounded Warrior Project, click on the link below.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.