It's a scenario straight out of your worst nightmare. But for a College Station woman, it was very real.
College Station police say a 66-year old woman had finished up shopping at the College Station Wal Mart around 12:40 a.m. today when she got into her car. As she drove a way, a stranger, hiding in her back seat, sat up and allegedly threatened to shoot her if she didn't drive him where he wanted to go.
The woman told authorities she immediately stopped the car and jumped out. The man got into the front seat and drove away.
Just eight minutes later, College Station officers got a call of a suspicious vehicle in the 1800 block of Welsh Avenue. When they approached, the suspect fled, dropping a woman's purse. After being caught, police say they found the victim's cell phone and a knife.
Caldwell resident Jimmy Tucker, 39, is charged with aggravated robbery, attempted kidnapping, unauthorized us of a motor vehicle and evading arrest.
In response, the College Station Police Department issued the following safety tips:
· Avoid shopping alone. Use the buddy system whenever possible.
· Shop before dark and always park in well-lighted areas.
· Use waist-pack carriers instead of purses.
· Make sure all doors and windows are locked in your vehicle and home.
· Do not keep packages in plain view in your vehicle or home.
· Do not count cash in open areas, especially after leaving an ATM machine.
· Keep your address and home phone number private. When stores request a phone number, give only your work number.
· After making a credit card purchase, request the carbon copy and destroy it in private.
· Have keys in hand before returning to the vehicle.
· As you approach the car, check to see if anyone is hiding underneath or inside.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.