Its back to school for kids in the Normangee school district, Friday. Thursday, students in Pre-K to 12th grade were released early because of a gas leak.
This is the second time in nine days students have missed school for a gas leak.
Superintendent Jerry Burger said a maintenance employee smelled gas around 7:30a.m. Thursday morning in the high school gym.
Because the gym is connected to the cafeteria, Burger said students in the cafeteria at the time were moved to another building to finish breakfast.
By 9:30a.m., Burger said school officials located the problem: a faulty heat exchanger in a furnace in the gym's attic.
Students were sent home around 10a.m. because the district wouldn't be able to provide lunch.
"Atmos Gas was monitoring for two hours and they could hardly get a reading on the gas and it wasn't anything pooling anywhere," said Burger. "The gas was re-circulating coming back in through in-take and that's what people were smelling."
Last Wednesday, Normangee students were also let out when someone smelled gas.
Burger said regulators outside a building were leaking, and they were repaired.
While the gas lines were off, he said Atmos found another line leak, so that line was replaced.
Burger said the school hadn't used heaters since then, and that Wednesday night maintenance employees went to light a pilot light, and started a small fire.
"We had a little bit of a small flash fire over there, when they were lighting it," said Burger. "There is a little bit of structural damage, mainly ceiling tiles and some things."
According to Burger, no students were in the building at the time. The English and Spanish classes normally held there, have been moved to another building.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.