The Jefferson family spent all day Saturday moving into their home. That evening, they watched it go up in flames.
Just before 8 p.m., College Station firefighters were called to the 3000 block of Jennifer Drive, which is north of Rock Prairie Road and south of Deacon Drive.
The family of seven made it out of the home safely. Firefighters were initially working to put out the fire from the inside of the home, but had to exit because of the severity of the blaze.
By 8:30 p.m., firefighters returned inside the burning building after taking defensive action against the fire.
With temperatures expected to dip into the lower '30s, the Jefferson family had a fire burning in their fireplace, and believe that's how the home caught fire.
"I walked outside on the deck and I noticed there was red around the fireplace where the wood was, so I got a pan of water and put it out. You could hear the crackling, and I put my hand to the back of the fireplace and it was hot so I just kicked it in and all the wood and stuff all the beams and stuff were on fire," said Roland Jefferson.
Sixteen firefighters worked about an hour to put the fire out.
The family believes everything inside is a total loss. Roland Jefferson, his wife, their three children and his brother and sister-in-law had only moved in hours before.
The Red Cross will provide the family with a place to stay Saturday evening.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.