Problem Chimney Causes CS House Fire

A weekend fire that destroyed a home in the 3000 block of Jennifer Drive was the result of a faulty chimney, according to the College Station Fire Marshal's Office.

The Jefferson family had just moved in Saturday, and was enjoying a fire in their fireplace, when they noticed their chimney was burning.

Fire officials said the fire started in their attic. It took an hour for firefighters to put out the flames.

According to the National Fire Incident Reporting System for 2006, 4,200 fires involved chimneys or chimney connectors, resulting in an estimated $54 million in damage.

The National Fire Protection Association recommends that chimneys for wood burning fireplaces and heating equipment be cleaned and inspected annually by qualified personnel. It also recommends having an inspection if you move into a new home.

Seven people were moving into the home, including three children ages four, eight and eleven. The family lost almost everything in the blaze and did not have renter's insurance.

Century 21, the property managers of the home on Jennifer Drive, have already found the Jefferson's another home, and they began moving in Monday evening.

Meanwhile, the family is receiving support from the community.

Local resident, Donna Sessums heard about the Jefferson's loss, and brought them several bags of clothes, shoes and kitchen supplies.

"I'm really grateful the community has come together to help my family because we pretty much lost everything, Penny Jefferson said. "It's good to know that people's hearts are really out there for me and my family."

If you would like to help the Jefferson family, you can contact:

Penny Jefferson at 979-492-9475 or Roland Jefferson at 979-492-6515.

Also, benefit accounts have been set up at several First Victoria Bank locations. The Bryan-College Station, Hearne, Huntsville and New Waverly locations are all accepting monetary donations and supplies for the family.

For more information on the benefit accounts, contact Amy at First Victoria Bank and 979-779-5081.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, Trolling or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to comments@kbtx.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus
KBTX-TV Channel 3 4141 E. 29th Street Bryan, TX 77802 Phone: (979) 846-7777 Fax: (979) 846-1490 News Fax: (979) 846-1888
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 40094102 - kbtx.com/a?a=40094102