*10 P.M. Update*
A specialty grocery store in College Station is closed indefinitely after the Brazos County Health Department found a dangerous pesticide in the store.
This all started Monday with the evacuation of a College Station Fire Station after the pesticide was moved there.
News 3 took a look at why health officials were concerned about what was found at the BCS Asian Market.
An empty parking lot served as the backdrop for what would normally be a busy grocery store.
The Brazos County Health Department closed the BCS Asian Market after finding an open container of aluminum phosphide, a commercial grade pesticide.
Many customers like Jric Co of College Station hadn't heard why the market was shut down.
"The store is, we don't have to go to Houston. The price is competitive with Houston and it's convenient for us," said Co.
"This is the first time we found anything even remotely as toxic as the fumigants as we found," said Mark Johnsen, Ph.D., an Environmental Health Specialist with the Brazos County Health Department.
He says they were already being shut down Monday for an inspection score of 55.
A College Station Fire Station was evacuated for an hour after inspectors moved the toxic chemical there.
"It is something that produces a toxic gas that will kill just about anything from mammals all the way down to insects," Johnsen explained.
" Hope they can fix it," added Co.
Now the store will have to dispose of every single item inside or have it tested by a lab to ensure food is not contaminated, if they want to re open.
Health Department Investigators say it could be days or even a month or more before the grocery store reopens.
It's unclear how much it would cost to test all the items inside.
*6. P.M. Update*
The state has now taken over the investigation into a College Station specialty grocery store that investigators say was storing a dangerous pesticide.
The State Health Department has shut down the BCS Asian Market off Texas and F-M 2818 in south College Station.
They are requiring the store to individually test or throw away their products because of possible contamination from that pesticide.
It all started Monday when a health inspector found aluminum phosphide pesticide at the store, recognized it as dangerous, then took it to a nearby fire station.
College Station firefighters decided to evacuate Fire Station Number 2 on Rio Grande Boulevard.
They quickly disposed of the poison, but now the health department says it may have lasting effects on the food in that store.
BCS Asian Market was closed for the second day in a row and it could be days or even a month before they are able to reopen.
The Brazos County Health Department says an open can of commercial grade pesticide was found during an inspection and there are worries it could have contaminated every single item the store.
Right now investigators aren't aware of any hazards for items purchased before the shut down.
"We don't know how old that chemical was, how it was used. If it was used in that establishment. Just the fact that it was open and in the establishment leads to the possibility of contamination of the products and due to that we have to err on the side of public safety," said Mark Johnsen, Ph.D., an Environmental Health Specialist for the Brazos County Health Department.
Coming up at ten we'll have reactions from customers who are just learning about the store shutdown and tell you about the market's failing score this week.
There's no word yet on whether the owners have opted to test some or all of their food for the pesticide contamination.
It's still unknown how much that testing process may cost.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.