Doctors amputated the leg of a Brenham man in an effort to save him from flesh-eating bacteria, according to friends and coworkers.
Family and close friends say 44-year old Keith Korth started complaining of severe pain in his leg when he returned home from a wade fishing trip to Port O'Connor Saturday.
“He had got a brand new set of waders, and somehow the new waders had rubbed a small blister on his ankle. And it got infected with Vibrio, which from my understanding comes from oysters or an oyster shell,” said Robby Derkowski, a family friend.
Family members say doctors at St Joseph Hospital in Bryan discovered that the Brenham man had contracted a rare, fast moving, flesh-eating bacteria. Doctors had to amputate Korth's leg mid-thigh in order to save his life.
On Sunday, Korth was taken by medical helicopter to Methodist Hospital in Houston.
Family and friends are still trying to understand how this could have happened to someone who only fishes a couple times a year.
“It could have happened to anybody else. There was people in the water just like he was. It just got him,” said Derkowski.
Doctor Ricardo Lemos is an infectious diseases specialist at St. Joseph Hospital.
“We have rare cases with very fast moving bacteria that catch everybody off guard, and they end up with life threatening illness,” said Dr. Lemos.
Family says Korth is in good spirits. Doctors are preparing Korth for cosmetic surgery in the next couple of days
“I think he'll bounce back in no time,” said Derkowski. “He's very strong willed, very hard working, very determined.”
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.